Applying for Student Visa

Students coming to the United States to study will enter the country on a non-immigrant visa. You will receive a "Certificate of Eligibility" (form I-20 or DS-2019) from Northwood University with your acceptance letter. Take the Certificate of Eligibility with you when you apply for your F-1 (student) visa. To make an application for a visa, contact the Consular Section of the American Embassy or the US Consulate closest to your place of residence and follow their instructions about visa application. 

To apply for this visa you will need:

  1. your passport
  2. recent passport-sized photograph
  3. acceptance letter  from Northwood University
  4. form I-20 "Certificate of Eligibility for Non-Immigrant Status" or form IAP-66 "Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Program" issued by Northwood University, signed by the Director of International Enrollment Management and by you, the student, prior to being sent to or presented at the US Embassy
  5. a completed application form obtained from the US embassy
  6. visa application fee
  7. evidence of financial support as stated in the financial section of your I-20 such as:
    1. a detailed bank statement from your bank or your parents' or sponsor's bank
    2. evidence of a scholarship
    3. any combination of grants and personal financing which will meet the estimated expenses (including tuition) of your stay in the United States.
  8. Receipt of your SEVIS fee* - $200.00 (paid online) - In order to get your student visa, you must present proof of your I-901 SEVIS fee payment at your visa interview

If you are denied a student visa, ask the officer for a list of documents he or she would suggest you bring in order to overcome the refusal, and, try to get the reason you were denied in writing.

If you are granted a visa, a stamp will be placed in your passport. Check the visa carefully to ensure that all information is correct before leaving the Embassy or Consulate. This stamp is a permit to seek entry to the United States; it does not determine how long you can remain in this country.

Please view the visa stamp as an entry permit only. Your stay depends on maintaining your status as a student.

*SEVIS stands for Student and Exchange Visitor Information System. It is a web-based solution, to track and monitor schools and programs, students, exchange visitors and their dependents while approved to participate in the U.S. education system. This system processes all of your documents. Proof of this payment is required when you apply for a visa.

Links to the US State Department of Information Service:

Questions regarding the visa application procedure?

Please direct your questions to the United States Embassy or the nearest United States Consulate in the student's home country.